10 Peace Nuggets
Updated: May 1
I can’t tell you the last time I put a McDonald’s chicken nugget to my lips or anything from McDonald’s for that matter. First, McDonald’s is not food! Second, I enjoy real food and eating too much to make sense of a ‘nugget’ of food. To me, the term nugget should only be applicable when referring to precious metals like gold, valuable information, facts or truths. I find meditating on the following 10 ‘nuggets’ of truth give me peace whenever needed. And like food nuggets, some are more palatable when dipped in a tasty sauce.
For obvious reasons, we are feeling anxious as we await the final outcome of the 2020 Presidential Election, an end to this Coronavirus pandemic, economic recovery from the closing the country to curtail the spread of the virus, endure civil unrests incited from blatant injustices and systemic racism, and face threats of terrorism- foreign and domestic. We have too much going on.
I say comfort food is in order here! So, I’m ordering up 10-peace nugget snacks with some extra dipping sauce. Yes, we’ve come through some things, more specifically 2020; but, I see there are more challenges to come. Anyway, let’s partake…
1. Peace, Be Still! (Mark 4:39) When I feel overwhelmed in a situation or stressed, just as Jesus did when in the storm at sea, I will randomly and authoritatively command peace with the expectancy of obedience. To add a little sauce, both Matthew 17 and Luke 17 reiterate that we should have at minimum mustard seed size faith when we speak to the storm, tree, mountain or situation and it will have to obey. Sometimes the storm dissipates, the mountain or tree moves; but more often, I am changed and able to navigate through the storm or situation with calmness and clarity.
2. The Spirit of Fear is not from God (2Timothy 1:7). Fear is the number one thief of my peace. It’s this spirit of fear that’s running amuck in the world and lending to all the chaos and anxiety we’re experiencing today. When fear tries to steal my peace, I remind myself this spirit is neither of God nor from God. Since I am more than a conqueror through Him, I can overcome it by calmy and courageously pressing through to the victory already established. (Romans 8:37).
3. I’m greater than my foe. This is not a haughty rant; I just happen to recognize the real foe behind all the mayhem and strife in my life. I stand on the Word that “Greater is He that is in me…” (1 John 4: 4) and that it’s the spirit of God our Father who raised Jesus from the dead that is in me (Romans 8:11). What is more empowering than knowing the Spirit of the almighty, living God rests, rules and abides in me? His Spirit trumps all other spirits and tramples the spirit of fear. By this truth, I can’t lose!
4. The Lord will keep me in perfect peace. Only a perfect God can provide perfect peace. When the storm brews, I keep my mind on Him and trust Him (Isaiah 26:3), redirecting my attention from the storm to the Lord. Added, His perfect peace is a peace that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7). A peace that is not of this world; therefore, the things, situations and people of this world cannot take it away from me (John 14:27). In order for them to get it- it being my peace, I have to give it up. Not today Satan, not ever!
5. If God said it, it shall come to pass. For me, nothing is more comforting than knowing the word is from the Lord. Etched in my mind and written on my heart is His Word in Isaiah 55, that His Word will not return void and will accomplish what He sent it forth to accomplish (Isaiah 55: 11). So, all the instructions, directions, visions, and the true prophetic words He has purposed for me will come to pass. Setbacks become setups because I have this assurance and with sauce, I know nothing is too hard nor impossible with God. (Jeremiah 32:27; Matthew 19:26).
6. I have God’s Blessing over me. I have peace, comfort, and confidence knowing the Lord has declared a blessing over me. Believing and receiving that I am the head and not the tail, above and not beneath, has propelled me through serious character attacks. Just being reminded that God says I am not who people may say or think I am, straightens my back and lifts my head. Affirming this blessing in prayer has literally turned situations around. (Deuteronomy 28:12,13)
7. God is for me. Think about it, the God of Heaven, Almighty God has my back. I’m going into battle or a fight with God on my side. While it may appear that the enemy, his imps, and the people he employs to distract me from my assignment are winning the battle, I know the Almighty is on my side; and therefore, I have won ! In fact, knowing God is for me (Romans 8:31), I sometimes “Wanna be startin’ something” like Michael Jackson. But alas, I hold my peace. Further, He is the one who has set the plans for me before the foundations of the world. The plans are for good and to give me a hope and future (Jeremiah 29:11). He is on my side, He wants what’s best for me, and He knows what’s best for me. When it’s raining chaos in my life, I can find my peace in knowing that God is for me!
8. Weapons will not prosper (Isaiah 54:17). Once I grasped the promise in this scripture, oh what peace I have enjoyed. Every time I find myself under attack by coworkers, co-laborers in ministry, and even personal attacks from family or ‘friends’, just knowing the weapons forming will not prosper, will not win, and will not take me out changes my perspective of the situation. This truth reminds me that these weapons or tactics are not as effective as the enemy planned. Then I read that their talking, their words coming against me, will end in condemnation. I almost want to warn them; but instead I watch as they expend all that energy for naught. Winning!
9. Check my thoughts. Quiet as it kept, most of the challenges I’ve faced and have overcome started in my mind. Although I’ve matured …some, I still have a tendency to place a lot of weight on other’s perception of me, either based on something they’ve said or what I think they are thinking. What’s crazier is that while the thoughts are still in my head, I start reacting. My angst builds, old wounds open and bleed resulting in me shutting down emotionally. Eventually I catch myself and pray to take these thoughts that are neither from God nor of God captive and bring them to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:4 ) which immediately changes the focus of my thoughts (Philippians 4:8). Sometimes, I have had to double dip this nugget until His peace overtakes me.
10. Just be still. This is my crisis nugget. It is also my ‘biblical counsel’ to all who call me with a ‘crisis’. When my back is up against the wall or there is a tough decision to make, I remind myself with this circumstances in this scripture. Moses spoke these words to the Children of Israel when it appeared they were in a dire position. Instead of being anxious and worrying about what’s going to happen, what to do, or say; I tell myself, Michele, just stand still and see the salvation of the Lord (Exodus 14: 13-14). Basically, God’s got it, so get out of the way. Stand back and see God, and let Him handle the situation! (Psalm 46: 10)
This power snack has encouraged, strengthened and comforted me during some really trying times; however, with all we have going on today , I may need to upsize or make this a combo. 😊
The Word of My Testimony
Mark 4:39 - And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
*Matthew 17:20 - And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
*Luke 17:6 - And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
2 Timothy 1:7 - For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
*Romans 8:37 - Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
1 John 4:4 - Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
*Romans 8:11 - But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
Isaiah 26:3 - Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
*Philippians 4:7 - And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
*John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Isaiah 55:11 - So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
*Jeremiah 32:27 - Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for me?
*Matthew 19:26 - But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Deuteronomy 28:12-13 - The LORD will open to you His good treasure, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season, and to bless all the work of your hand. You shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow. And the LORD will make you the head and not the tail; you shall be above only, and not be beneath, if you heed the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you today, and are careful to observe them.
Romans 8:31 - What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
*Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 - For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:  (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
*Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Exodus 14:13-14 - And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you today: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen today, ye shall see them again no more forever.  The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
*Psalms 46:10 -Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.